Visitor Services Associate
Ford’s Theatre, historic site and museum, is seeking a part-time Visitor Services Associate for weekdays and weekends. Candidates must be detail-oriented, well spoken, energetic, and outgoing in order to provide excellent overall customer service to Ford’s Theatre visitors. Ford’s Theatre welcomes a high volume of visitors each year to tour the site and experience live theatre. Ford’s Theatre Society values and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and working environment.
Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ford’s is open 363 days a year, from 8:30am to 6pm for regular business. Visitor Services shifts are generally 6 hours, beginning at 8am and typically ending at 6pm, but at times will end as late at 7pm.
- Greet and assist visitors throughout the site.
- Work closely and efficiently with National Park Service Rangers and Volunteers.
- Adhere to Ford’s Theatre high standards of customer service.
- Address visitor concerns appropriately and with patience.
- Engage visitors in conversation regarding history and knowledge of the theatre and Civil War.
- Provide accurate information and direction to visitors about Ford’s Theatre and the Washington DC area.
- Complete opening and closing site procedures, including completion of Daily Record.
- Research, create and lead guided tours for both the public and private VIP groups of the historic site.
- Attendance at periodic after-hours training as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum one year pursuing an undergraduate degree.
- Minimum 2 years in customer service, museum or other front of house experience
- Self-starter and fast learner in changing environment
- Excellent communication skills, including presentation and public speaking skills
- Must have an interest in Civil War history and be able to learn history of the site independently
- Effective decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Work as part of a team in a very busy environment with occasional stress
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and ability to learn new programs
- Ability to work minimum of 18 hours per week
- Must be able to stand/walk for long periods of time
- Patience, flexibility and ability to multi task
- Must be available weekends, weekdays and some holidays