Patron Services Associate
Start of content
Ford’s Theatre Society is seeking a part-time Patron Services Associate. This position is integral to ensuring the on-site experience is safe, accessible, inclusive and welcoming for patrons.
Candidates must be detail-oriented, well spoken, energetic, and outgoing in order to provide excellent overall customer service to Ford’s Theatre show patrons and historic site visitors. Ford’s Theatre welcomes a high volume of visitors each year to tour the site and experience live theatre and expects that all patrons are provided with a safe, enjoyable, and accessible experience.
Ford’s Theatre Society values and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and working environment. Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
While we are currently operating on a reduced schedule, Ford’s is typically open 363 days a year, from 8:30am to 6pm for regular historic site visitation, and typically until 11pm for evening performances (certain performances and events may run later). This is a public-facing, front-line position which requires in-person interaction with visitors and show patrons.
- Actively participate in Ford’s Theatre Society’s ongoing efforts to become an anti-racist organization. These efforts include, but are not limited to, staff-wide conversations, new programming, development of new resources for staff and audiences, and an expectation that all staff will keep themselves informed of new resources and trends in the field of anti-racism and DEAI.
- Contribute to an inclusive, accessible work environment in all interactions with colleagues, patrons, volunteers, and visitors.
- Provide the highest level of customer service through excellent verbal communications. This position can serve as a customer service representative for both daily historic site visitation and theatrical performances, depending on schedule and availability. Customer service duties include, but are not limited to:
- Greet and assist members of the public as they enter the site.
- Ensure that safety standards and protocols are followed by all patrons and visitors.
- Address patron and visitor concerns appropriately and with patience.
- Actively participate in Ford’s Theatre’s ongoing efforts to become a more accessible institution by providing excellent service and accommodations to visitors and patrons with disabilities under the direction of management.
- Provide accurate information and direction to visitors about Ford’s Theatre and the Washington, D.C., area.
- Work closely and efficiently with National Park Service Rangers and Volunteers during daytime visitation to ensure a smooth, inclusive, enjoyable and informative visit for all historic site visitors. This includes engaging visitors in conversation regarding history of the theatre and Civil War in a manner which supports Ford’s Theatre’s interpretation of the site.
- Work closely with House Management, Production and Volunteer Ushers during theatrical performances in house management associate capacity to ensure prompt and accurate seating of patrons, distribution of accessibility devices, and attention to patron needs and safety before, during, and after the performance.
- Complete opening and/or closing site procedures, usually accompanied by other staff, for historic site visitation and performances.
- Complete ongoing training benchmarks for front-line staff.
- All patron services employees are required to see at least one performance or final dress rehearsal of each production as early in the run as possible
- Other duties as assigned.
- Successful experience in a customer service environment
- Must be friendly, team-spirited, organized, detail-oriented and efficient but flexible
- Ability to adapt to changing conditions and requirements in a very busy environment
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking skills and effective communication in a team setting
- Interest in learning the history of the site and the events of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln
- Effective decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office or ability to learn Office.
Please send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application should include:
- Cover Letter
Ford’s Theatre Society has a mandatory vaccination policy for all employees. The policy is designed to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.