Start of content
Ford’s Theatre Society is hiring a Development Associate to join its team. The position is full-time and based in Washington, DC.
Ford’s Theatre Society values and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and working environment. Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Ford’s offers a dynamic working environment steeped in culture and history along with a robust benefits package including highly subsidized health insurance, 401(k) contributions, and generous paid leave policies.
Due to the nature of Ford’s Theatre as an institution that hosts in-person programming and events, frequent in-person and in-office work is required.
The Development Associate is an integral part of the success of the fundraising team at Ford’s Theatre and is responsible for gift administration, including gift entry and drafting acknowledgement letters. The Development Associate provides support to all areas of the development department, including individual giving, membership, corporate giving, special events, grants and major gifts.
All Ford’s Theatre Society employees are required to actively participate in the Society’s ongoing efforts to become an anti-racist organization. These efforts include staff-wide conversations, new programming, development of new resources for staff and audiences, and an expectation that all staff will keep themselves informed of resources and trends in the field of anti-racism and DEAI and how they can be applied to their own work on a day-to-day basis.
- Enter all pledges and gifts into the Tessitura database correctly and in a timely manner. Resolve any unclear details or questions about the donations with the appropriate development staff
- Draft timely and accurate invoices, pledge confirmation letters, gift and pledge acknowledgements and/or receipts for all gifts as necessary and required
- Maintain organized files relating to donors/members and their giving and make sure that this information is easily accessible to all development staff
- Administer mailing process for membership renewals, ensuring each member segment receives appropriate inserts
- Provide administrative assistance in executing solicitations, including list clean up, proof-reading, and mailing
- Assist members of the development team as needed in the preparation of funding proposals and materials to existing and prospective donors
- Complete any matching gift paperwork or online confirmations
- Oversee and assist in the execution of member appreciation and gifting programs, which provide members with a token of appreciation when they attend performances
- Support corporate relations efforts in fulfilling sponsor benefits by managing lobby and other recognition displays
- Serve as a point of contact for members calling the membership hotline with questions, concerns, or requests to purchase performance tickets, as well as assist in answering emails that come to the membership and donate in-boxes
- Answer questions and promote membership to prospects calling the membership hotline using a full understanding of benefits, season description and the impact of membership
- Create the individual, government and foundations donor lists for the Ford’s website and the theatrical printed programs throughout the year
- Review selected member communications, materials and online pathways and provide feedback
- Keep accurate and up-to-date records in the Tessitura database for all donors and members including their contact information and gift amounts/dates, as well as the appropriate codes, flags, recognition and attributes to ensure that they are included in all relevant mailings, events, and other contact points
- Work with all development staff, database administrator, the finance department, and other departments as needed to monitor data quality, limit duplicate records in the system, and provide reports as requested
- Assist with special events as needed and requested including some on evenings and weekends.
- Stay knowledgeable of Ford’s events and programming to communicate effectively with donors.
- Occasionally conduct private guided tours of the Ford’s Theatre Campus for donors and prospects outside of regular business hours.
- Assist in basic research and identify prospects for giving and membership through traditional prospect research tools using iWave and other online tools
- In conjunction with a third-party administrator, organize, prepare, and provide information and assistance for state charitable solicitation registrations.
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Prefer at least one year’s experience in development or fundraising for a non-profit, cultural organization
- Occasional weekend and evening work required
- Demonstrated excellent time management, prioritization and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a diverse group of donors, coworkers and constituents
- Demonstrated accuracy and solid attention to detail
- Excellent skills in database entry and maintenance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel required, knowledge of databases is desirable
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills
- Enthusiasm for the performing arts and/or history a plus
- Commitment to advancing ideals of Diversity Equity and Inclusion in the workplace and Ford’s events
SALARY: $45,000 per year
Ford’s Theatre Society has a mandatory vaccination policy for all employees. The policy is designed to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
TO APPLY Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org