Ford’s Theatre Society seeks a full-time Communications Associate to join its team. Ford’s Theatre Society values and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and working environment. Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The primary function of the Communications Associate is to assist with institutional writing and editing for communications, development and education departments, ensuring consistent messaging on the website and in blog posts, printed materials and enewsletters, assist with developing communications plans for education and development departments that help us reach new audiences and raise awareness of programs and their impact, and assist with press relations and organization and maintenance of theatre’s press list and media archives.
- Assist the Associate Director and the theatre’s education department with developing and implementing communications plans that reach educators, school administrators and students, and increase public awareness of organizational education initiatives
- Assist the Associate Director and the theatre’s development department with developing and implementing communications plans that demonstrate donor impact and benefits of supporting Ford’s
- Assist the Associate Director with Ford’s Theatre video and photo shoots
- Write and compile content for the website, blog and enewsletters related to performances, donor impact, educational programming, special events and historic site programming
- Provide copy editing and editorial support for student playbills, play/musical study guides and other public-facing materials for the education department
- Write and compile assets for the education spread in play programs
- Write and compile assets for the yearly impact reports distributed by development and for the printed donor newsletter
- Assist with writing other institutional communication pieces as needed
- Assist education department with deadlines for and circulation of communications projects such as printed materials and enewsletters
- Assist with pitching story ideas and managing interviews on site and on location
- Assist with press events (press night for performances, press conferences, etc.)
- Collate and analyze media coverage
- Organize and maintain institution’s archive of press clippings, b-roll and photographs
- Advise on, update and maintain database (Tessitura) of media contacts
- Track and upload information for area cultural calendars (Culture Capital, Cultural Tourism DC, etc.)
- Serve as member of Social Media Committee
- Serve as a staff liaison to theatreWashington including managing Helen Hayes Awards ballots and judge ticket scheduling, posting and maintaining production details, more.
The Communications Associate will have the ability to take information and transform it into exciting, relevant and useful messaging and to disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels. The position requires someone highly collaborative, resourceful and able to work well across all departments in a productive and team-spirited way. The person should have a portfolio demonstrating strong written communication skills.
- BA in journalism, public relations, communications, marketing or comparable experience in a related field preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Well-versed in Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent written and verbal skills with attention to audience, tone and nuance
- Familiar with AP Style
- Able to meet deadlines consistently, particularly those requiring quick turnaround
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships internally and externally
- Self-starter able to work independently
- Passion for history and/or the performing arts preferred
- Internship or job experience in media, public relations, communications, marketing or journalism preferred.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample via the form below. No phone calls please.