Start of content
Ford’s Theatre is hiring Assistant Stagehands to provide general technical support to the theatrical productions on stage, working closely with the Department Heads, Production Supervisor, Designers, and Stage Managers.
Ford’s Theatre Society values and is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and working environment. Ford’s is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Actively participate in the Society’s ongoing efforts to become an anti-racist organization. These efforts include staff-wide conversations, new programming, development of new resources for staff and audiences, and an expectation that all staff will keep themselves informed of resources and trends in the field of anti-racism and DEAI and how they can be applied to their own work on a day-to-day basis.
- Provide general technical support for rehearsals, performances, load-ins, work note sessions, and strikes.
- Provide labor in setting up, shifting and striking all props, scenery, lighting, sound, projection and stage production equipment, as well as other run crew duties, as assigned.
- Organize and maintain the backstage spaces as per individual needs of each production
- Maintain and repair all production equipment, including scenery, props, and lighting, for each production.
- Execute a daily safety check of all stage equipment during production runs.
- Maintain the stage and backstage areas in a clean, orderly, safe and effective manner.
- Assist Staff Heads in the creation and coordination of any special effects required for each production.
- Working closely with Staff Heads, create and maintain a current inventory of theatre-owned tools and special equipment as well as a current list of future purchases and projects to enhance the production department.
- Other duties as required by the Production Supervisor and Staff Heads, including but not limited to the load-in and strike of lighting, projection, rigging, scenery, props and sound equipment.
- Attend rehearsals, meetings (including departmental and staff), trainings and notes sessions as required
- Consult with Staff Heads and Production Supervisor on specific solutions to technical challenges and problems to resolve in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain and initiate repair of equipment.
- Coordinate safe use of all equipment and safe working procedures with co-workers.
- Work respectfully and collaboratively with FTS staff, visiting artists and outside vendors and contactors.
- Promote and support the Ford’s Theatre Society’s safety and company policies.
- Serve Ford’s Theatre Society’s best interests in the coordination and supervision of needs for all non-Production events.
- Approach and carry out duties, as designated above, with a positive and collaborative attitude.
Demonstrated experience is required in theatrical electrics, stage carpentry, theatrical audio systems and stage rigging. Related experience in production video projection and scenery automation is desired.
Knowledge And Skills:
- Ability to work independently, but, collaboratively as a team member
- Must be available to work extended hours as needed
- Frequent physical activity
- Lifting: Routine lifting of 30 to 50 lbs.
- Climbing: Ladder work as well as climbing in cramped and otherwise limiting spacesi
- Heights: Ability to work at heights up to 30 feet
- Valid Driver’s License required
- Experience with driving rental box trucks preferred
Ford’s Theatre Society has a mandatory vaccination policy for all employees. The policy is designed to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
- Per FTS/IATSE 22 agreement
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and references to Sarah Hewitt at email@example.com. Include “Assistant Stagehand” in the subject line.