Because of elevator repair work scheduled for July 11 through July 14, 2016, the Ford’s Theatre Museum and the balcony levels of Ford’s Theatre will not have elevator access.
References and Reading
We recommend the following books, Web sites and articles about Abraham Lincoln’s presidency, death and legacy.
- Abraham Lincoln Institute
- Abraham Lincoln Papers: A collaborative project of the Library of Congress Manuscript Division and Lincoln Studies Center, Knox College, 2002.
- Lincoln/Net: The Abraham Lincoln Historical Digitization Project
- Trial of the Lincoln Assassination Conspirators: This website by Douglas Linder chronicles the details of the trial.
- Wet with Blood: The Investigation of Mary Todd Lincoln’s Cloak: Chicago Historical Society and Northwestern University.
- Abraham Lincoln Research Site
Books Related to Lincoln's Life and the Civil War
- Accord, David. What Would Lincoln Do? Sourcebooks, Inc., 2009.
- Basler, Roy P., ed. Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press, 2001.
- Burlingame, Michael. Abraham Lincoln’s Inner World. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press, 1994.
- Carwardine, Richard. Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power. New York: Vintage Books, 2007.
- Donald, David Herbert. Lincoln. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1995.
- Donald, David Herbert and Harold Holzer, eds. Lincoln in The Times: The Life of Abraham Lincoln as Originally Reported in The New York Times. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2005.
- Epstein, Daniel Mark. Lincoln and Whitman: Parallel Lives in Civil War Washington. New York: Random House, 2004.
- Epstein, Daniel Mark. The Lincolns: Portrait of a Marriage. New York: Ballantine Books, 2008.
- Ferguson, Andrew. Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America. Atlantic Monthly Press, 2007.
- Fitzgerald, Michael W. Splendid Failure: Postwar Reconstruction in the American South by. Ivan R Dee, 2008.
- Freedman, Russell. Lincoln: A Photobiography. New York: Clarion Books, 1987.
- Furgurson, Ernest. Freedom Rising: Washington in the Civil War. New York: Vintage Books, 2004.
- Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2005.
- Gopnik, Adam. “Ages or Angels?: Lincoln’s Language and its Legacy.” The New Yorker, May 28, 2007.
- Grieve, Victoria. Ford’s Theatre and the Lincoln Assassination. Fort Washington, PA: Eastern National, 2005.
- Kundhardt, Philip B. Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon. Alfred A. Knopf, 2008.
- Lachman, Charles. The Last Lincolns: The Rise & Fall of a Great American Family. Sterling Pub. Co., 2008.
- Larson, Kate Clifford. The Assassin’s Accomplice. Basic Books, 2008.
- Lee, Richard M. Mr. Lincoln’s City: An Illustrated Guide to the Civil War Sites of Washington. McLean, VA: EPM Publications, Inc., 1981.
- Leech, Margaret. Reveille in Washington: 1860 – 1865. Safety Harbor, FL: Simon Publications, 2001. (First published, Harper Brothers, 1941.)
- Percoco, James A. Summers with Lincoln: Looking for the Man in the Monuments. Fordham University Press, 2008.
- Phillips, Don T. Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times. Warner Books, 1992.
- Pitch, Anthony S. “They Have Killed Papa Dead!” Steer Forth Press, 2008.
- Swanson, James L. Bloody Crimes: the Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse. William Morrow/HarperCollins, 2010.
- Swanson, James L. Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln’s Killer. New York: Harper Perennial, 2006.
- Swanson, James L. and Daniel R. Weinberg. Lincoln’s Assassins: Their Trial and Execution. New York: William Morrow, 2006. (First published by Arena Editions, 2001.)
- Titone, Nora. My Thoughts Be Bloody: The Bitter Rivalry That Led to the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Free Press, 2010.
- Winik, Jay. April 1865: The Month that Changed America. New York: Harper Perennial, 2001.
Books for Young Adults
- An Acquaintance with Darkness by Ann Rinaldi. Harcourt, 1997.
- The Escape and Capture of John Wilkes Booth by Edward Steers, Jr. Thomas Publications, 1992.
- Bloody Times: the Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Manhunt for Jefferson Davis by James L. Swanson. Collins, 2011.
- Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. Scholastic Press, 2009.
Books for Children
- Abraham Lincoln Comes Home by Robert Burleigh. Henry Holt and Co., 2008.
- Lincoln Shot!: a President's Life Remembered by Barry Denenberg. Feiwel and Friends, 2008.
- The President is Shot: the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln by Harold Holzer. Boyd Mills Press, 2004.
- The Lincoln Funeral Train: The Final Journey and National Funeral for Abraham Lincoln by Scott D. Trostel. Cam-Tech Publishing, 2002.