The Ford's Theatre National Historic Site, including the Museum, Theatre, Petersen House and Center for Education and Leadership, will be closed on the following dates: June 2, 2013 and June 5, 2013.
References and Reading
We recommend the following books, Web sites and articles about Abraham Lincoln’s presidency, death and legacy.
- Abraham Lincoln Institute
- Abraham Lincoln Papers: A collaborative project of the Library of Congress Manuscript Division and Lincoln Studies Center, Knox College, 2002.
- Lincoln/Net: The Abraham Lincoln Historical Digitization Project
- Trial of the Lincoln Assassination Conspirators: This website by Douglas Linder chronicles the details of the trial.
- Wet with Blood: The Investigation of Mary Todd Lincoln’s Cloak: Chicago Historical Society and Northwestern University.
- Abraham Lincoln Research Site
Books Related to Lincoln's Life and the Civil War
- Accord, David. What Would Lincoln Do? Sourcebooks, Inc., 2009.
- Basler, Roy P., ed. Abraham Lincoln: His Speeches and Writings. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press, 2001.
- Burlingame, Michael. Abraham Lincoln’s Inner World. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press, 1994.
- Carwardine, Richard. Lincoln: A Life of Purpose and Power. New York: Vintage Books, 2007.
- Donald, David Herbert. Lincoln. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1995.
- Donald, David Herbert and Harold Holzer, eds. Lincoln in The Times: The Life of Abraham Lincoln as Originally Reported in The New York Times. New York: St. Martin’s Press, 2005.
- Epstein, Daniel Mark. Lincoln and Whitman: Parallel Lives in Civil War Washington. New York: Random House, 2004.
- Epstein, Daniel Mark. The Lincolns: Portrait of a Marriage. New York: Ballantine Books, 2008.
- Ferguson, Andrew. Land of Lincoln: Adventures in Abe's America. Atlantic Monthly Press, 2007.
- Fitzgerald, Michael W. Splendid Failure: Postwar Reconstruction in the American South by. Ivan R Dee, 2008.
- Freedman, Russell. Lincoln: A Photobiography. New York: Clarion Books, 1987.
- Furgurson, Ernest. Freedom Rising: Washington in the Civil War. New York: Vintage Books, 2004.
- Goodwin, Doris Kearns. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2005.
- Gopnik, Adam. “Ages or Angels?: Lincoln’s Language and its Legacy.” The New Yorker, May 28, 2007.
- Grieve, Victoria. Ford’s Theatre and the Lincoln Assassination. Fort Washington, PA: Eastern National, 2005.
- Kundhardt, Philip B. Looking for Lincoln: The Making of an American Icon. Alfred A. Knopf, 2008.
- Lachman, Charles. The Last Lincolns: The Rise & Fall of a Great American Family. Sterling Pub. Co., 2008.
- Larson, Kate Clifford. The Assassin’s Accomplice. Basic Books, 2008.
- Lee, Richard M. Mr. Lincoln’s City: An Illustrated Guide to the Civil War Sites of Washington. McLean, VA: EPM Publications, Inc., 1981.
- Leech, Margaret. Reveille in Washington: 1860 – 1865. Safety Harbor, FL: Simon Publications, 2001. (First published, Harper Brothers, 1941.)
- Percoco, James A. Summers with Lincoln: Looking for the Man in the Monuments. Fordham University Press, 2008.
- Phillips, Don T. Lincoln on Leadership: Executive Strategies for Tough Times. Warner Books, 1992.
- Pitch, Anthony S. “They Have Killed Papa Dead!” Steer Forth Press, 2008.
- Swanson, James L. Bloody Crimes: the Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse. William Morrow/HarperCollins, 2010.
- Swanson, James L. Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln’s Killer. New York: Harper Perennial, 2006.
- Swanson, James L. and Daniel R. Weinberg. Lincoln’s Assassins: Their Trial and Execution. New York: William Morrow, 2006. (First published by Arena Editions, 2001.)
- Titone, Nora. My Thoughts Be Bloody: The Bitter Rivalry That Led to the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Free Press, 2010.
- Winik, Jay. April 1865: The Month that Changed America. New York: Harper Perennial, 2001.
Books for Young Adults
- An Acquaintance with Darkness by Ann Rinaldi. Harcourt, 1997.
- The Escape and Capture of John Wilkes Booth by Edward Steers, Jr. Thomas Publications, 1992.
- Bloody Times: the Funeral of Abraham Lincoln and the Manhunt for Jefferson Davis by James L. Swanson. Collins, 2011.
- Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson. Scholastic Press, 2009.
Books for Children
- Abraham Lincoln Comes Home by Robert Burleigh. Henry Holt and Co., 2008.
- Lincoln Shot!: a President's Life Remembered by Barry Denenberg. Feiwel and Friends, 2008.
- The President is Shot: the Assassination of Abraham Lincoln by Harold Holzer. Boyd Mills Press, 2004.
- The Lincoln Funeral Train: The Final Journey and National Funeral for Abraham Lincoln by Scott D. Trostel. Cam-Tech Publishing, 2002.