Because of elevator repair work scheduled for July 11 through July 14, 2016, the Ford’s Theatre Museum and the balcony levels of Ford’s Theatre will not have elevator access.
Civil War Washington Teacher Fellows Program
“This was by far the best summer workshop I have ever attended! Hands-on learning with practical classroom lessons and activities!”
-Grade 8 Social Studies, Tucson, AZ
True Confessions of a Fellowship Devotee
A 2012 Teacher Fellow’s account of her “transformational week” at the Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation Civil War Washington Teacher Fellows Program
The Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation Civil War Washington Teacher Fellows
Join up to 25 teachers to learn about Abraham Lincoln, Frederick Douglass and the city of Washington during the Civil War!
- Walk in the footsteps of Abraham Lincoln, his “Team of Rivals,” and Confederate spies who plotted against him at Ford’s Theatre;
- Experience the home of a southern sympathizer in historic Georgetown, and learn how she saved her beloved estate from the Union army;
- Learn about the contraband camps and Emancipation Day as you follow Lincoln’s commute to and from the Old Soldier’s Home on a hill north of the city; and
- Visit historic Anacostia and the beautiful home of Frederick Douglass as he helped raise up the formerly enslaved during and after Reconstruction.
Come away from your week in Washington with: a virtual knapsack of digital tools and resources; lasting connections with a national network of fellow teachers and museum educators; the oratory skills to get your students on their feet performing speeches by Lincoln and Douglass; comfort taking students on content-driven experiential learning adventures; and excitement about using classroom drama to help historic characters come alive!
Session I schedule for local commuters: June 19 - 24, 2016
Free for qualifying teachers*
Session II schedule for national boarders: July 10 - 15, 2016
Free, including housing and travel, for qualifying teachers*
Application deadline has past.
* The Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation Civil War Washington Teacher Fellows 2016 and 2017 Programs are funded through a research grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, enabling Ford’s Theatre Society to offer these programs at no cost to participants. In return, participating teachers will participate in research conducted by Ford’s Theatre Society over the course of a calendar year by providing written feedback and video of classroom teaching, contributing to monthly virtual meetings, and sharing related teaching and learning practices with one another and the greater online educator community.
Hear From Past Fellows
View DC Metro Area Fellow
Participants in a larger map
View National Fellows
Participants in a larger map
Funded by the Catherine B. Reynolds Foundation and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Please contact us with any questions and to receive more information about the Civil War Washington Teacher Fellowships.